5 best long range scopes
Technology is grasping the entire world whether it is the domestic stuff or the fighting ones. Long range scopes were used in the previous times but at that time, it was thin brass tube that was almost equal to the full length of the barrel. Elevation and Windage were obtained through the knobs present on the outer side. These creations were actually of a low magnification. However, the modern era is not the age of hunting buffalos, instead, it is time where everything is aided by automatic machinery for high precision. Now, computer aided machines allow people to hit the deer sitting on the far off mountain. Enormous objective lenses, big tubes, high magnification, and sunshades make the overall appearance of a long range rifle. It is up to the person to pick the scope from the fruits of technology and modern science for the long range rifles.
Why right scope should be considered?
Long range shooting is not an easy task. It requires deep concentration, control and timing. It actually tests the judgment and accuracy of a hunter. The serious hunter very well knows the importance of a scope for long range shooting. He knows that the long distance shooting requires powerful and precise guns and this precision is not possible without the right scope. It is seen that the best gun without the right scope is actually useless. The hunter would miss the big shot by just few inches of he uses a wrong scope for his rifle. The best long range scope actually enhances the power precision of a gun so opting for the right scope should be the foremost priority of a hunter.
Best Long ranges scopes
A large number of long range scope is available in the market. Following are the 5 best long range scopes:
One of the long range hunting scopes includes the Nikon ProStaff 5 which is actually designed to compete with the experienced players. It has the following features:
- It has spring loaded returns and parallax compensation for adjustment between the shots.
- This scope’s field of view is quite wide even when it is fully zoomed.
- Its reticle has the ballistic circles which enhance the power of hitting the target.
- This scope can easily be adjusted in any sort of gun.
- It has large lens tube that provides relief to the eyes.
Following are some of the pros and cons of Nikon ProStaff 5:
- Nikon ProStaff 5 has 4.5-18x range which can compete with more expensive long range hunting scopes.
- Both the lenses of such scope are multicoated which helps in the quick focus.
- This scope has a reticle with ballistic drop arrangement which is useful for the long distance shooting.
- It is simple and user-friendly.
- The spring-loaded adjustment reset automatically to zero.
- People usually complain that the reticle used in this scope is a wide one.
- The covers for lens are not the flipped ones.
One of the best long range scopes includes Swarovski Z6. Following are some of its features:
- It has quite a wide range with a good zoom power of about 6X.
- It has a wider field of view.
- As the tube length is larger so it also provides relief to eyes.
- The lens of such scope has a protective layer.
- It has an automatic ability of shutting off the light when the gun is not in use.
- The tube has microstructure grooves that avoid the reflection between both the lenses.
Following are some of its pros and cons:
- The lenses of such scope are water resistant.
- It can also work in fog, low or excessive light.
- This scope is slim and light in weight which can easily be carried far off places.
- They can easily be mounted on any sort of rifle regardless of its shape of size.
- It body is made up of such tough material that can withstand in any sort of field.
- A spring system is used for making all sorts of adjustments which indicates that it has a perfect repeatability.
This long range scope has only one drawback and that is its price. Swarovski Z6 is quite expensive and a lower class individual cannot afford it. Although, it comes with many bright features but this cost restrict people to get it.
CVLIFE optics hunting riflescope comes with a large number of features. Some of them are listed below:
- It has a good magnification power ranges from 6 to 24X.
- The objective diameter of such scope is 50mm.
- Its body is made up of a very durable material.
- Its illuminated type is both red and green.
- The optics is multi-coated and this coating maximizes the transmission of light.
- It is particularly designed for long distance shooting
- It is available on very affordable prize with all the bright features.
- It is user-friendly and every person can handle the recoil.
- No instructions are available about how it could be used or mounted.
- This scope cannot be mounted on any sort of gun, instead, it is gun specific.
It is one of the best long range hunting scopes and its durability brings it in this category. Following are some of its features:
- Its body is made up of aircraft-grade aluminum that actually enhances the durability and structural integrity.
- The rotational stop of such scope is customizable that prevents the gun to lose zero.
- It has MagView Bar which indicates that its glass has fiber optics.
- Clear and crisp images are provided through extra-low dispersion glass.
- Light transmission is improved through XR lens coating.
- Its body makes it fog-proof, waterproof, and shockproof.
- It is highly durable.
- An individual can easily focus through such scope.
- It is user-friendly.
- It can be used in the extreme conditions as well such as extreme weather.
- Its quality of glass is not that good one but it can be improved.
- Its zooming capabilities are not that good.
This is one of the best long range scopes due to the following features:
- It has side focus feature that allows focusing in every dimension.
- Its magnification power is 50X which indicates that an object can be magnified up to 50 times.
- The particular multi-coating makes it unique among many other competitive rifle scopes.
- It has 7 layers of coating that enhances the light transmission.
- It has side focus which is a very rare feature.
- Its magnification power is too high that makes everything visible to the hunter.
- It is user-friendly that is why beginners enjoy it.
- There is very stiff or very hard adjustment for the reticle.
- The lens cap is of very poor quality.
Way to read scopes!
People usually find it difficult to read a scope. But they should keep in mind that most of the rifle scopes have basic description written in a standardized format with the magnification followed by a diameter lens. These both aspects of information are separated by a distance called as ‘x’.
The magnification number would indicate how much an image could be enlarged when viewed through such scopes. These two numbers which depict magnification are separated by a dash. Moreover, the level of magnification can be adjusted from a higher to lower number.
The diameter of a lens is measured in millimeters. The objective lens is basically the forward lens. This description on a scope indicates the diameter of the most-forward lens.
Right scope for the Right gun!
There are certain things that an individual has to keep in mind before buying the best long range scope for his gun. The following headings would cover those important aspects for a hunter.
The first ever thing an individual has to figure out before buying the rifle scope is its magnification power. An individual should give preference to the optical power because it indicates the usefulness of a scope. A 1000 yard shooter is equipped with a 4x scope while the hunter who targets the deer in a thick forest would find it difficult to hit with a 32x scope.
The optimal magnification varies from task to task but it should be keep in mind that the lower magnification is used for more intuitive and faster shooting while the higher ones are used for target resolution. A scope with a higher resolution is usually larger, heavier and more expensive.
According to the general rules, the scopes with less than 10x are more suitable for shooting at a less than 400 yards distance while the scopes larger than 10x are typically suited for rifles which needs support such as sandbags.
Moreover, the variable power scopes allow the rifle for a wide range of magnification but these are quite expensive.
Body of the scope
People might think what would be the concern of a scope body with its precision. Well, the scope body actually affects the precision of the optic. A long range scope with a good body is made of incredible material such as aircraft grade aluminum. People should prefer that rifle scope which has a body with a single piece design of aluminum. This actually helps in durability and the precision of the scope’s optic.
The rifle scopes come with a variety of lenses and lens is one of the most important features of a scope. It is most concerned area for the hunters who are involved in long distance shooting. That hunter would definitely want a clear picture of the far off object. A lens would add to the high level of clarity that will even help an individual to read the wind. When a hunter hit his target 1000 yards far he will be able to read the wind at the target.
An individual could determine the optic with good lenses through light transmission or by simply looking through the optic from different angles.
In long range scopes, Looking for the appropriate recticle is another indication of a right scope particularly for long range shooting. Reticles are available in a large variety but an individual should opt for reticle with single dots or hash marks spread horizontally and vertically. These marks or dots could be MOA or MIL measurements. These measurements allow the consistent holdover for elevation changes and windage compensations.
Focal plane is divided into two categories such as second focal plane and front focal plane.
- The magnification would change the size of the reticle on the front focal plane.
- The size of the reticle would remain the same on the second focal plane.
Long range scopes with a front focal plane are better than the second focal plane because the hash marks or dots never changes while on the second focal plane, these marks or dots need particular zoom setting for its accuracy.
Adjustment ranges of a scope could never be ignored. This is more related to the elevation changes than the windages. However, the turrets could adjust both the elevation and windage. Elevation adjustment is basically the demand of a long range shooting. For instance, 308 rounds would drop around 50 inches at 500 yards. So, an individual can imagine the adjustment range at 1000 yards.
Objective Lens Size
An individual should keep in mind that while selecting long range scopes the larger a lens, the better is the light transmission. However, it is not necessary that an individual should always get the largest lens which is available, instead, he should consult the experts. Moreover, the larger lens is also not beneficial alternatively because it needs a larger mount which in turn, would add more weight to the rifle.
This article covers many important aspects of long range hunting scopes that allow the hunter to opt for the best scope for his rifle. If the budget allows then an individual could buy the expensive one, alternatively an individual can still get the best scope with little money. All the above scopes vary in feature and prizes, an individual can select according to his desire and need.